Few dishes say winter comfort food better than chicken pot pie. This recipe takes away any mystery about a fresh, home cooked version. Developed by our in-house chef Meagan Greene, this simple recipe is packed with flavor and surprisingly quick and easy to prepare.
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Frozen Diced Carrots
- 2 Cups cooked shredded chicken meat
- 1/3 C All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2/3 C Milk
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 5 Tablespoons Shortening
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp of fresh thyme (optional)
* Store-bought biscuits can be used rather than making the biscuits from scratch. If using, simply arrange them on top of the baking dish, or place one in each muffin tin
Method of Prep
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish – or, make individual servings in muffin tins
- In a large saucepan, sauté chopped onion in the butter.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. (Making a Roux)
- Add chicken broth and milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper. (add the thyme if using)
- Add frozen peas and carrots and cooked chicken.
10.Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. (Making Biscuits)
- Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. (DO NOT OVER MIX)
- Stir in milk just until dough is moistened, then drop by spoonful onto chicken mixture. (Drop biscuits)
- Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown, and cooked on the bottom.
Be sure to line the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil to catch any overflow from the baking dish