Crème brulee also known as burnt cream, crema catalana, or Trinity cream is a dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a contrasting layer of hard caramel. It is normally served at room temperature. This is a year round dessert. Majority of the times it is requested for holidays and family gatherings.
Yield: 8 servings
Total Time: 50 Minutes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- 4 Cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 9 Egg Yolks
- ¾ Cup of Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Brown Sugar
Method of Preparation:
- In a heavy saucepan, heat cream to 180°F over medium heat, stirring frequently. Meantime, in a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla. When cream reaches 180°F, slowly stir into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into eight 6 oz custard cups; place cups in a baking pan. Add 1 inch of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from water bath. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle each cup with 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers