In celebration of national pasta day, here’s our fun, new twist on a classic Italian crowd pleaser. Each large slice of lasagna provides more than 10 percent of the daily value for all the essential micro-nutrients except folate, vitamin B-12 and pantothenic acid. It’s particularly high in vitamins A and K and calcium, selenium, manganese and phosphorus. Try it out and let us know what you think!
Total Time: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 1 Hour
- 1 box boiled Lasagna sheets
- 2 ½ cups of tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups of chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces of ground beef
- 8 ounces of Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoon of tomatoes paste
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups of Ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Boil lasagna sheets to semi-soft texture
- While the sheets are cooking, make the beef and sausage mixture by browning the meat in a skillet on medium high heat – then add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and let it cook for 5 minutes, then remove of the heat.
- Using a Bundt pan spray a thin layer oil.
- Sprinkle mozzarella (3 tablespoons) around the bottom of the pan.
- Line the Bundt pan with the lasagna sheet (1/3 of the sheets will overlap each other)
- Set aside the Bundt pan and make the cheese mixture. Mix together ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
- Bring back the Bundt pan. Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese in the bottom layer of the pan on top of the lasagna sheets.
- Add ½ of the meat mixture distribute equally
- Add ½ of the cheese mixture
- Add a thin layer the tomato sauce
- Place a layer of lasagna sheets on top and repeat in adding the rest of the meat mixture, cheese mixture and tomato sauce in the same order.
- Fold over the hanging lasagna sheets to cover the entire dish. If there is excess lasagna in the middle of the pan cut carefully to even it out.
- Drizzle the whole pan lightly with olive oil
- Bake for 1 hour until golden brown.
- Let sit for 15 minutes and remove from Bundt pan, slice and serve