With summer fast approaching, any chef’s creative imagination shifts to the rich smoky flavors of a fire-hot grill. That’s why we’re teaching our latest Snapchefs unique grilling techniques with unique ingredients, including this grilled Romaine salad to accompany a wide variety of dishes, or just on its own for a satisfying lunch.
- 5lb whole chicken, washed & dried
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 large springs fresh rosemary, diced finely (1 Tbs. dried can be substituted)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- zest of 4 lemons
- Fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- salt & pepper
- Cavity stuffing (sliced lemons, sliced onions, spring of rosemary – or 1 Tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add butter to a medium sized bowl.
- Add in olive oil, rosemary, garlic and lemon zest.
- Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper, including inside of the cavity.
- Brush the butter mixture onto the chicken generously covering all of the chicken.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons all over the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken with lemon slices, rosemary and onions.
- Tie together the legs, if desired.
- Place chicken in roasting pan.
- Cook for 45 minutes and then baste.
- Return to oven and cook for another 15 minutes or until golden. Lightly tent with foil if chicken is browning too quickly.
- Let chicken cool for 15 minute before carving.
GRILLED ROMAINE SALAD WITH LEMON-MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
PAM® Grilling Spray (or other similar spray)
4 tablespoons Canola Oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Spicy Brown Mustard
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 romaine lettuce hearts, cut in half lengthwise
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Sunflower Kernels, Roasted & Salted
Spray cold grate of gas grill with grilling spray. Preheat grill for medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk together 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in small bowl; set aside.
Brush romaine halves with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Grill 2 minutes on each side or until wilted slightly and grill marks develop. Place on shallow serving dish; top evenly with vinaigrette, cheese and sunflower kernels. Serve immediately.