Summer is grilling, smoking and family time. This slow cooked sweet, spicy, and tender pork will make you the Mac Daddy for a few hours, until they are all feed, then your back to just Dad still rules.
Total Time: 12 Hours Prep Time: 45 Minutes Cook Time: 8 Hours 30 Minutes
Rub for Pork
- 6 Pounds of Pork Butt or Pork Loin
- 2 Teaspoon of Coriander (ground)
- 2 Teaspoon of Fennel Seed (ground)
- 2 Teaspoon of Mace (ground)
- 2 Teaspoon of Star Anise (ground)
- 5 Teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup of Onion (diced)
- ½ Cup of Garlic (minced)
- ¼ Sliced Thai Chilies
- 1 ½ Cups of Sweet Soy
- ½ Cup of Lime Leaves Black
- ¾ Cup of Sesame Oil
- ¼ Cup of Scallions (slice)
- ¼ Cup of Kosher Salt
- 2 Heads Savoy Cabbage (shaved 1/16 of inch thin)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (julienne thin cut)
- 1 Large Purple Carrot (julienne thin cut)
- 1 Large Orange Carrot (julienne thin cut)
- 3 Red Thai Chilies (shaved thin)
- 2 Scallions (shaved thin)
- ¼ Cup of Toasted Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon of Fennel Pollen
- ½ Cup of Rice Vin
- ¼ Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoon of Sesame Oil
- 2 Teaspoon of Honey
- 2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 Bunch of Mint (for garnish)
Method of Preparation for Pork:
- Toast all the dried spices in a sauté pan until lightly smoking.
- Add oils and onions and garlic and salt.
- Next rub the pork with this mixture and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Next cover the pork with the sweet soy and refrigerate for another 6 hours.
- Next prepare smoker, heat up apple wood until 275°F degrees with good smoke ,place the pork in smoker and cover, cook for 4.5 hours at 275°F then wrap in foil and cook 4 more hours or till it pulls apart.
- While waiting on the pork when cooking, start preparing the slaw. In a large bowl place all the sliced cabbage and listed vegetables along with the chilies and fennel pollen.
- Add the vinegar toss for 10 sec and add the honey and toss for 10 seconds
- Add the oils and cilantro and serve.
- Remove the pork and serve sliced at 140°F degrees with slaw on top with cilantro and mint garnish.