Love the fresh-baked taste of fall flavors, but watching your gluten? Then you’ll absolutely love this simple, healthy, modern twist on a Fall classic, created by our own in-house Chef Will McDonough. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
- 2 medium baking apples (like Rome), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange or lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 6 ramekin dishes or one medium pie pan with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices, cranberries, ½ cup of the sugar and walnuts.
- Divide the mixture evenly and spoon into the ramekins, set aside.
- Make the topping by combining the eggs, brown rice flour, melted butter and remaining ¼ cup sugar, citrus peel, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Stir with a wire whisk or fork until smooth and no lumps remain. Spread topping over the fruit mixture.
- Place the ramekins on a baking tray and bake 30 minutes or until topping is golden and fruit is tender or starting to bubble. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving with ice cream if desired. But they are good just on their own.
- Note: you can make this ahead by preparing and baking as directed. Cool, cover and chill up to 24 hours. To reheat, bake covered with foil in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes or until warm.