This is a new fun fast way to use local surf clams in one pan for a quick chowder. Served chilled or hot. This recipe is interesting to prepare the surf clam is a little sweet can be eaten shaved very thin and just warmed through for this recipe. A very attractive presentation by serving the soup the clam shells. The surf clams in this dish can be exchanged for cherry stone or quahogs.
Yield: 2 servings
Total Time: 35 Minutes Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 3 Packs of Surf Clams
- 8 of Cherry Stones Clams & Juice
- 1 Cup of Yukon Gold Potato ( ½ inch dice)
- 1 Cup of Leeks ( ½ inch dice)
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Water Crest (save some for bedding on serving plate)
- ½ Cup of Onions (diced)
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves (sliced)
- ¼ Tablespoon of Crushed Fennel Pollen
- 1 Cup of Asian Sweet Sausage (sliced and dried)
- 3 Cups of Heavy Cream
- A Pinch of Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons of Kosher Salt
- ¼ of Fresh Scallions Leaves (sliced)
- 3 Tablespoon of Butter
Method of Preparation:
- In a medium sauce pan add butter, heat up on medium high, then add the onions and garlic, cook for 3 minutes, then add sausage and cook for 3 minutes.
- After add potatoes, heavy cream, fennel pollen and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Then add cherry stone and simmer for 3 minutes or until they open.
- Remove from heat and add the water crest season with cayenne pepper & salt to taste
- Open surf clams and shave thin and then add in hot broth for 1 minute and serve.
- For the presentation, on a 10 inch dinner plate, place the water crest and 3 surf clam shells in the middle.
- Scoop the soup in the surf clam shells on a bed of water crest garnishing with scallions.