This Summer Peach Pie is a perfect dessert! The crust is tender and flaky, and the filling sweet and full of delicious peach flavour!
Yield: 2 Pies (6 -8 Serving per Pie)
Total Time: 45 Minutes Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Pie Dough Ingredients
- 15 Pounds of All Purpose Flour (shifted)
- 8 ¼ Cups of Shortening
- 3 Cups of Cold Water
- 2 Tablespoons of Salt
- ½ Cup of Sugar
- ¼ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 4 ½ Cups of Peaches (sliced, peeled)
- Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (9 inches)
- 3 Tablespoons of Cornstarch
- ¼ Teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Salt
- 2 Teaspoons of Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
Method of Preparation:
- First make the pie dough. Place flour in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add shortening and cut it into flour with a pastry blender until the crumbs are the size of peas.
- Dissolve salt in the water and add the water to the flour mixture a small amount at a time mixing it just until the water is absorbed and the dough holds together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for four hours. Use 14 ounces of dough for a two crust 9 inch pie or 11 ounce of dough for an 8 inch pie.
- While the dough is in the refrigerate, work on the pie filling. In a large bowl, combine sugars; then add peaches and toss gently.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge.
- Set aside. Drain peaches, reserving juice.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir in reserved juice.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter.
- Gently fold in peaches. Pour into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust.
- Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack.