Summer is grilling, smoking and family time. This slow cooked sweet, spicy, and tender pork will make every kid and the kid in you come back for more.
Yield: 8 sandwiches
Total Time: 12 Hours Prep Time: 45 Minutes Cook Time: 8 Hours 30 Minutes
Rub for Pork
- 6 Pounds of Pork Butt or Pork Loin
- 8 Each of Cabatta Bread Buns
- 2 Teaspoon of Coriander (ground)
- 2 Teaspoon of Fennel Seed (ground)
- 2 Teaspoon of Mace (ground)
- 2 Teaspoon of Star Anise (ground)
- 5 Teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup of Onion (diced)
- ½ Cup of Garlic (minced)
- ¼ Sliced Thai Chilies
- ¼ Cup of Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup of Brown Sugar
For the Frisbee Salad
- 2 Heads of Fennel (shaved thin)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (julienne thin cut)
- 3 Golden Peppers (shaved thin)
- 2 Scallions (shaved thin)
- 8 Cups of Arugula
- 2 Cups of Shaved Brussel Sprouts
- ½ Cup of Rice Vin
- ¼ Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoon of Sesame Oil
- 2 Teaspoon of Honey
- 2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 Bunch of Mint (for garnish)
Method of Preparation for Pork:
- Toast all the dried spices in a sauté pan until lightly smoking.
- Add oils and onions and garlic and salt.
- Next rub the pork with this mixture and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Next cover the pork with the sweet soy and refrigerate for another 6 hours.
- Next prepare smoker, heat up apple wood until 275°F degrees with good smoke ,place the pork in smoker and cover, cook for 4.5 hours at 275°F then wrap in foil and cook 4 more hours or till it pulls apart.
- While waiting on the pork when cooking, start preparing the salad. In a large bowl place all the argula and listed vegetables.
- Add the vinegar and ½ of the amount of each oil and toss for 10 sec and add the honey and toss for 10 seconds
- Add the remaining of the oils and cilantro and serve.
- In a Bowl place the pork and start pulling apart to shred. Once you are done shredding, sprinkle over the pork: rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper and toss in cilantro.
- Place the bread over the warm smoker for about 7 minutes.
- For serving place a pile of the pulled pork on the warm bun then place the Frisbee mixed salad on top of the pork. Top it off with the top of the bun and enjoy!