This recipe is from a celebration which we are particularly excited about – and was part of a special four-course meal prepared by today’s graduates of our culinary training program with Community Care Alliance, which supports youth and young adults with workforce development skills in northern Rhode Island. We’re amazed at how quickly these students leaned their way around the kitchen, while securing their ServSafe certification – qualifying them for internship and employment opportunities. Congratulations to our first class of trainees!
For the Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat (or chicken, if desired)
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups grilled corn off the cobb (boiled fresh corn or frozen can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 large sweet green pepper, cored, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 tablespoon, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth, fresh or canned
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- Sliced lime for garnish (optional)
For the Tortilla Chips
- 4 large flour tortillas cut into strips the width of medium French fries
- 4 cups of canola oil
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large heavy pot and add the onions and peppers.
- Cook until soft, about 5 minutes, add the turkey meat and cook for 5 minutes chopping down and stirring with the side of a heavy kitchen spoon to break up any lumps.
- Add the corn, oregano, bay leaves, chili powder and cumin. Stir to blend well. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the drained beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes longer.
- FOR THE TORTILLAS:
- In a medium pot pour the canola oil and heat. Drop the tortilla in oil and fry until golden. Place in on paper towels to drain the oil.
- Serve in bowls with cheddar cheese, and sour cream and fried tortilla chips, if desired.